CASE STUDY: Enabling greater independence in the bathroom
The Home Straight was asked to carry out an assessment for a gentleman to support the provision of a low level shower in his first floor flat.
Due to heart problems, which caused breathlessness and fatigue, he had limited ability to carry out many activities of daily living.
“The Home Straight arranged to visit me very quickly. The lady who came was knowledgeable and efficient.”
The Home Straight team:
- Undertook a full assessment of his needs
- Compiled a report recommending the
- Removal of the existing bath and replacing it with a low level shower tray and bi-folding doors
- A replacement close coupled toilet and cistern with the toilet rim height at 460mm from the floor
- A new smaller wash hand basin with lever taps
- Answered all his queries and those of his housing provider and offered recommendations within five working days
As a result of help from The Home Straight he is now:
- Able to enjoy a shower independently and safely as often as he wants
- Is no longer anxious as to whether he would be able to get into or out of the bath
- Enjoying an improved quality of life as a result of having his bathroom adapted